Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Non fiction 2008

The following is the NF lost stats from 2008 in dewey numbers:

001-099
7
100-199
32
200-299
8
300-399
85
400-499
10
500-599
20
600-699
163
700-799
93
800-899
46
900-999
64

As we can see, 600 subjects are our highest loss rate at about 30% of the NF collection outstanding.
This percentage is the same in the overall numbers, indicating that this part of the collection is a predictable loss.
300 and 700 call numbers follow with rates at 16% and 18% respectively.

An analysis of the actual items lost from these collections suggests that books centred on DIY, self help and skills development make up the majority of the items.

At this point I made the following hypothesis:

Borrowers of this collection are not regular users of the library, but have come across a personal project where they need a one off block of information. They come in to the library and sign up or use a seldom used membership to take out the information they need and don't return. They may not be in the habit of coming to the library regularly or understand the outcomes of overdues and lost books.

I tested this hypothesis yesterday by focusing on the lost items from 600 only. I checked the records to see how often the card was used.
Most were low usage, and those with high usage were often internet users, who need to scan their card each time they want to use a PC which would up their stats. The only fault with the system we are using to gather this information is that each time I myself have a look at their record, I am adding to their usage count. So it is in no way an accurate view. However, I have been able to guage low use easily.

This supported my hypothesis, but findings are still only general.

No comments:

Post a Comment